Thursday, June 26, 2008

Renovations, Rain Storms, and Dogs

SSSNNNNIIIIFFFFFFF! Aaaah, the sweet smell of summer. No school, no work, just play play play all day! At least, if by "play" you mean hauling two tons of wall stone by hand to build up the terracing in your front yard, or gutting out your kitchen (cabinets, appliances, flooring and lighting) and turning your bathroom from a 1/2 bath to a 3/4 bath...then, yes, we're playing! Today Chase and I worked on building our front porch. I learned quick how to accurately hit a nail, enough black thumbs'll teach ya that! It's not finished, but the hard part is done, all the leveling, squaring off and attaching-to-the-house part is finished. Chase had to leave tonight to be at the Young Men's camp-out as one of the leaders. He was planning on coming home tomorrow, except I just got a call from him. He was at the hospital 'cause he may have dislocated his shoulder from doing, none other than...wrestling! "If I told that boy once I've told him a THOUSAND TIMES!" He should be fine, might slow down some work, but he'll be fine. I'm packing up the kitchen so we can take all the old cabinets out, the new ones come in just four days which means we can get the kitchen all finished up here soon! In the mean time we've been knocking out walls and enjoying the demolition part of the renovations. I recall Hilary getting angry about hearing too much about house renovations so I'll stop there and let you in on the rest as I get photos to prove the progress. We had a tumultuous rain storm the other day which left mud puddles in our back yard. Mud, because we still don't have grass...just dirt...and now mud. Enoch had a lot of fun with that though. For a long time. And it resulted in an AFTERNOON bath instead of his usual evening bath. We've been watching a friend's dog for the last week while he's been out of town. Actually, the dog is his girlfriend's who left him with the dog while she did some internship out of town for several weeks. Long story short...I HATE LITTLE DOGS! Maybe I should correct that, I hate inside dogs. It's just that the only experience I've had with little dogs has been inside. They all eat poopy diapers no matter how concealed you make them and they all stand under your feet in the kitchen waiting for you to drop food for them to eat. My secret pleasure is to "accidentally" kick him while I'm moving around getting meals ready, or to "innocently" step on him. Anyway, Enoch seems to like the dog. It's the first thing he asks for when he wakes up in the morning. Except he says, "Gah!" I don't know if it's 'cause he's mixed up the first letter with the last or because the dog's name is Gus, but he calls all dogs, "Gah." Hope everyone is doing well. I saw Dave 'n Jo's pictures. Maybe it was the innocent truth that echoed from the organic melody or the beautiful family so honestly portrayed but I was fighting back my tears, I loved it. Being away from my immediate family and relying on the support found in friends around me, has completely changed my idea of what "family" means. The pictures you guys had taken puts another point-of-view on the definition. The birth mom is an amazingly honest woman, with herself, the baby and with you. SHE is the one who broadens the definition of family in a selfless and noble way, not because she has chosen to place her child, but because she sees it does not end the family of God...it strengthens it. I don't know if that made sense, but I've been very impressed with her character and am thrilled she has chosen you guys to be the baby's parents. We love you guys, see you in...A MONTH! Wahooo!

No comments: